Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Homily by Fr Mathew December 24 &25, 2014




The Meaning of Christmas

On Christmas morning a woman told her husband, "I just dreamed that you gave me a beautiful diamond necklace. What do you think it means

You’ll know tonight, said the husband.

That evening just before opening presents, the husband came home with a small package and gave it to his wife.

Delighted, she opened it only to find a book entitled "The Meaning of Dreams."

What is the meaning of Christmas?

Most of the time, we do not respond to one another as human beings but as categories. I put you into some hard and past category and respond not to you but my mental construct about you.

And you may do the same to me.  When I am introduced to a stranger, he asks me, “what is it that you do.? And whatever I reply becomes the basis for 90 percent of all the thoughts or feelings that he will ever entertain toward me!

If I say, I am a priest he will be careful not say off color jokes in my presence, apologize for having missed church last Sunday and be sure that I am not invited to his next cocktail party.  If I were to say that I were retired, he would want to know, “retired from what?” so that he would be able pigeon-hole who I was and what I was like as a  person. If he could not comfortably work me into a pre-established category, he would always feel unsettled in my presence.

The Chinese have a saying which they use to explain prejudice and hatred toward others: “Call a dog a bad name and shoot it.” Once you have categorized someone, you are no more responsible to treat him as a human being.

We characterize our enemies as insects, animals or monsters and then feel justified to exploit them or take their lives.  When someone disagrees with us, we declare that person “sick,” “crazy” or stupid.  I label that person first.  From that point I feel justified to react to the label and pay no attention to the reality of the person.

The incarnation of Jesus challenges such assumptions that we hold against each other. Christ challenges every assumption as to who is good and who is evil.  Jesus mingled with all kinds of people: he enjoyed the company of the most despised people in the society. That does not mean that he spurned such conventionally upright individuals like Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimethea.

This is the challenge of incarnation. You and I are beloved children of God. We are God’s children; our human dignity comes from the fact that God created you and me in His image. We have a divine element in each and every one of us.  Our original human condition was tarnished by the sin of our first parents. By incarnation, God restored our human dignity.  God made his dwelling among us. He has established his tabernacle in each and every one of us.

Our tendency to categorize people is a great obstacle to see the worth of human life. Our inclination to pigeon-hole people is a real threat to cherish the divine in those people we meet.

The great mystery of divine incarnation is upheld and celebrated in everyday life by people of India by in the tradition of greeting one another by saying, “Namaste.” The person greets the other with folded hands and says, “Namaste” WHICH MEANS I revere you, I respect you because I see the same God who dwells in me dwells in you, too.

This is the great lesson we have to learn from the mystery of incarnation: When I respond to you and you respond to me without prejudice and preconception, we are both changed. When I am able to see someone as real human person with flesh and blood and not just categories in which I place you , I will find who I am and my real worth.  Then the incarnation will become a reality in my life.


To Paraphrase Meister Eckhart, if the Christ is born in Bethlehem a million times, and trudges the dusty roads of Palestine, preaching a million years, but is not born in your heart and life- and in my heart and life-then what difference does his Gospel make? But if you and I are crucified with the Christ and yet we live because he lives in us, then the good news is true: God is for us. God is with us. God is in us. We are thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment